Monday, July 11, 2011

LACMA, Jazz and the Big Mix


The Friday before July 4th I decided to check out LACMA (Los Angeles County Museum of Art) to see one of their exhibitions I knew was ending soon. It was called Human Nature. I was also interested in other current exhibitions and checking out the free Jazz concerts they have on Fridays, as well. I was just feeling the need for a big creative "shot in the arm."

The first thing I saw was this amazing piece of art (below) by Jesus Rafael Soto. It was quite entertaining watching all of the kids (and adults) interacting with it. Isn't the little girl in the first photo beautiful?

All photos in this post were taken with my iPhone.
Can you believe I forgot my camera?



J
esus Rafael Soto, 1923-2005
Venezuela, active Caracas andParis

Penetrable, 1990




I did the sketch below in an exhibit called The Mourners. It is an exhibittion of 37 small alabaster sculptures that were originally sculpted for the tomb of John the Fearless, the second duke of Burgundy at the Chartreuse de Champmol in Dijon, France. The tomb is now housed at the Musee des Beaux-Arts de Dijon, but because of some restoration work the sculptures are currently traveling.

The funny thing is that a few months ago I wouldn't have known about any of that but it just so happens that we had studied about the Chartreuse de Champmol and the Duchys of Burgundy in my art history class that I had just taken in the spring! Love it when that happens!

Sketch done by me (on my new Ikat print dress!)

The contemporary art exhibit was called Human Nature after the piece below by Bruce Nauman.

Bruce Nauman
Human Nature/Life Death/
Knows Doesn't Know, 1983


The next piece is by one of my favorite artists Do-Ho Suh from South Korea. The piece is from a group of full-scale silk and nylon architectural models of his homes from his childhood in Korea and his apartment in New York. This is an exact replica of one of the gates to his parents' house in Seoul. He is amazing. Click on his name for his gallery link or just Google him and check out his work in Google Images. I love him. Total art crush!

Gate, 2005
Silk and stainless steel tube


Outside the BCAM Building at LACMA


There is a David Smith exhibition currently on view called Cubes and Anarchy. I love his work, as well. Definitely one of my favorite contemporary sculptors. I saw an exhibition of his work at The Metropolitan Museum of Art years ago on the rooftop garden, while having a glass of champagne with my friend Lynn, on a glorious, sunny day above Central Park. It was unforgettable!

Cubi I, 1963
Burnished stainless-steel


Another exhibition (yes, there is lots going on there right now!) currently at the museum is Gifts of the Sultan. This beautiful piece is embroidered with silver and silver-gilt wire on black silk with red and green silk appliques. Gorgeous.

Sitara for the Door of the Ka'ba
Egypt, Cairo, dated AH 1266/1849-50



What you can't see in the photo below were the 1,500 people listening to jazz at the museum. (I asked a guy who worked there for an estimate.) You also can't see me having a glass of Italian red wine at the bar. ;)




There are no days in life so memorable
as those which vibrated to some stroke of imagination.

~Ralph Waldo Emerson


As some of you may recall, I had a New Years resolution to make it to at least 1 museum a month. Well, it's July and I have made it to 4. (5 if you include the downtown library, which is really like a museum.) In any case, I have
a bit of catching up to do!

I also have some catching up to do with blogging. I need to do some visiting and I also want to share my amazing story of synchronicity from last weekend!!

Until then ... have a beautiful week!

Blessings and light!


7 comments:

donna baker said...

California here I come... Must be wonderful to have so many things to do. And the temperature is reason enough.

mermaid gallery said...

so much to see and do where you live...what a feast!...love your sketch...nice to interact with the show!...really great post! best, susan

Cobalt Violet said...

Thanks ladies! Yes, there are a lot of things to do and sometimes I forget or don't have time to take advantage of them! I am trying to this summer!

Loree said...

You have been busy, busy, busy but it all looks like so much fun.

A Brush with Color said...

What a beautiful place--and those children interacting with art just does my heart good. Lovely, Lucinda! I'd say you're doing well with your resolution--I always think it's uplifting to go to museums, even if it's vicariously through your trip! Thanks for taking us along!

Joop Zand said...

Wonderful pictures....great work again....my compliments

Greetings, Joop

Jose Ramon Santana Vazquez said...

...traigo
sangre
de
la
tarde
herida
en
la
mano
y
una
vela
de
mi
corazón
para
invitarte
y
darte
este
alma
que
viene
para
compartir
contigo
tu
bello
blog
con
un
ramillete
de
oro
y
claveles
dentro...


desde mis
HORAS ROTAS
Y AULA DE PAZ


COMPARTIENDO ILUSION
COBALT VIOLET

CON saludos de la luna al
reflejarse en el mar de la
poesía...




ESPERO SEAN DE VUESTRO AGRADO EL POST POETIZADO DE STAR WARS, CARROS DE FUEGO, MEMORIAS DE AFRICA , CHAPLIN MONOCULO NOMBRE DE LA ROSA, ALBATROS GLADIATOR, ACEBO CUMBRES BORRASCOSAS, ENEMIGO A LAS PUERTAS, CACHORRO, FANTASMA DE LA OPERA, BLADE RUUNER ,CHOCOLATE Y CREPUSCULO 1 Y2.

José
Ramón...