Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Ojai in Pastel

Last week was my fun, crazy, social week! Tuesday night (Valentine's Day) I had a dinner party for some of my single girlfriends (very fun!), then my Mom came Thursday and spent the night, and Friday my friend Erin came from San Diego with her magic fairy daughter, who is 5 years old, and they left yesterday morning.

So, here I am. :)
I will be blogging about our adventures to museums and so on, but in the mean time, I thought I'd share this pastel - in the spirit of celebration!

Last Tuesday, I was Juried into the Pastel Society of Gold Coast. For a while now, I have been showing my art to you, my blogging friends, but haven't been putting my new work out there in other realms. So, here goes and here's to new adventures!

The e.e. cummings poem below, was read aloud by my friend Rachel at dinner on Valentine's Day. It was so beautiful, I thought I'd share it with you.


Ojai Preserve, Early Spring
Pastel and watercolor underpainting on mounted Wallace paper




somewhere I have never travelled
e.e. cummings

somewhere i have never travelled, gladly beyond
any experience, your eyes have their silence:
in your most frail gesture are things which enclose me,
though i have closed myself as fingers,
you open always petal by petal myself as Spring opens
touching skillfully, mysteriously her first rose

or if your wish be to close me, i and
my life will shut very beautifully, suddenly,
as when the heart of this flower imagines
the snow carefully everywhere descending;

nothing which we are to perceive in this world equals
the power of your intense fragility: whose texture
compels me with the colour of its countries,
rendering death and forever with each breathing

[i do not know what it is about you that closes
and opens; only something in me understands
the voice of your eyes is deeper than all roses]
nobody, not even the rain, has such small hands



Hope you are having an amazing week!!!


14 comments:

jane said...

well! it´s about time! :)
xxx

Loree said...

Go for it. New adventures are the best!!

Shelley Whiting's art said...

A very strong and majestic landscape. A beautiful and moving picture.

Candy said...

Congratulations, Lucinda! The colors in your pastel are so rich. It's a gorgeous piece.

Loved the e.e. cummings poem, too!

rjerdee said...

Congrats, beautiful artist!

Joyce said...

Wonderful news on the Juried show!! Yahoo.... Your party with your gal pals sounded like a lot of fun too. :) xo

donna baker said...

Lucinda, that pastel is gorgeous!

Kerry O'Gorman said...

I remember finding this poem in one of my moms books when I was in high school and it has remained one of my favorites, thanks for bringing it back into the light. And that pastel!!! I swear you're going to be one of the modern classics of our time. How beautiful it is! Do you sell your work somewhere?

Tito said...

Hi Lucinda, your pastel is simply amazing! Beautiful colors and lovely atmosphere. I like it! Ciao.

Cobalt Violet said...

Thank you so much for your kindness and support!
Grazie mille! :)

Anonymous said...

Love the images of that beautiful girl - especially with the Medusa hat on. Just fantastic! I'm enjoying looking at your world through your eyes!

Gary Keimig said...

well done.

Marty said...

this is a wonderful pastel ! love your work very much

Blogger said...

If you would like an alternative to randomly dating girls and trying to figure out the right thing to do...

If you'd rather have women chase YOU, instead of spending your nights prowling around in filthy bars and night clubs...

Then I urge you to play this eye-opening video to unveil a shocking secret that might get you your own harem of hot women:

Facebook Seduction System!!!