Monday, July 2, 2012

Southern California in Pastel


I can't believe it's July! In fact, we took down the UCSB/Cheadle Center show last Thursday and the new "Passion for Pastels" show was hung yesterday!

The reception will be next Sunday the 8th, in the Thousand Oaks/Newbury Park area from 1-4:00pm. So, if you are in the neighborhood ...

This (below) was one of my Santa Barbara pastels from the last show ...

Early Spring Afternoon, Santa Barbara
Pastel on sanded Wallace paper with watercolor underpainting


Anyway ... I am back in LA after house-sitting in Ojai for 6 weeks!!! It's kind of weird to be back, in part because, with all of my stuff unloaded from my car (but not organized) my place looks like a set from a disaster movie.

I am hitting the ground running with summer workshops. They got someone to cover the first two weeks, so I will be teaching the next 8, which started, for me, this morning. It's a great group of kids ranging from about 7 to 14. Hadn't seen the teenage girls for awhile and now they are towering over me! What do they feed these kids? As usual, I will be sharing some of the amazing and inspiring work these kids do.

Well, I am off to the bank and to tackle several bags of clothes that I need to either wash or put away!


Hope you all are enjoying the summer!

hugs and light
Lucinda

Click to enlarge! :)


OH! And I love this quote! ...


"When my daughter was about seven years old, 
she asked me one day what I did at work. 
I told her I worked at the college- 
that my job was to teach people how to draw.
She stared back at me, incredulous, and said, 
"You mean they forget?"

~Hard Ikemoto

Why not give it shot!? 
:)

3 comments:

Tito said...

Hi Lucinda, your pastel looks just beautiful. Colors, light, shadows....everything is perfect and very well painted.
Have a nice summer you too! Hug!

donna baker said...

I hope you got to housesit at a beautiful mansion. That is one of my fantasies; going to Santa Barbara or Carmel and housesitting when it is 105 degrees where I live. My garden is about to finish producing, so I am readying my stuff to begin drawing, painting etc. It is spread out across my dining room table, so I don't get to drag it out often. I've decided my dining room will just have to look messy.

Tammie Lee said...

if only i was in the area, so many wonderful things to participate in!
your landscape is dreamy wonderful.