Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Solo Show September 18th


In memory
everything seems to happen to music.
~Tennessee Williams,
The Glass Menagerie


I am someone who needs a deadline. I have been told this is normal for an ENFP. (Personality type) Anyway, it's something that instead fighting, I am finally learning to work with or at least work around. If I want to get something done I join a group, take a class ... or set a date.

With the exception of painting tiny demonstrations for the students at my work, I hadn't really focused on oil painting since I'd gone through some health problems back in 08/09. The fumes freaked me out, then I got involved in the pastel group, but I started really missing it! Then I decided that I would be like Lucien Freud and do tons of oils and live to a ripe old age, like him. (He even used flake white which is known as lead white.)

When my bosses kindly offered up the studio for me to do a solo show, I said yes and set a date. Perfect! A deadline! All of the sudden I'm productive again and much more disciplined, though my painting "schedule" is all over the place. I go in fits and starts, but when when I really get going I easily end up painting until 3 in the morning!


The show is based on memory. Cellular memory, genetic memory, experiential memory and physical "body" memory. It's about all these different things that contribute to who we are. It's also about what is passed on to others, but I'm not going to get into all that at the moment!

My dear, dear Friend ...
in thy voice I catch
The language of my former heart ...
~William Wordsworth

Most of the pieces I have so far, are works involving my ancestors.


These are unfinished details of 2 of my pieces. (I am not ready to share finished pieces yet.)


Anyway, that's what I have been up to! 

I hope you all had a happy 4th of July! I went to the Ventura Street Fair, then headed back home so I could start painting again today! I will do a little post about that later!

Music does something nothing else can, when it comes to memory. I have specific memories (that I won't go into right now) in regards to this song, but this is a different version with Jason Mraz playing along with the amazing guitar player Sungha Jung, from Korea. After 5:30 it gets into the main guitar portion.



The past is never dead, it is not even past.
~William Faulkner


3 comments:

donna baker said...

Well, I can Not wait to see it all. Please keep us up to date. I think you are right about the deadline thing. So, will some of your work be from memory. I prefer photos, but next real life. Memory is a different kind of work for me. Sounds great. Very often, I can't show my work until it finished.

Candy said...

How exciting! Please, please do a lot of posts about the preparation and the show itself! Yep, deadlines are a great way to get it together.

I absolutely adore Jason Mraz. Jim and I saw him a little over a year ago. It was the best concert I've ever seen! Having been fortunate enough to live in Las Vegas, I've seen a lot of shows and concerts. My sister and I made a list one time. She posted hers online and someone accused her of lying:) Anyhow, Jason Mraz is wonderful, marvelous, amazing and any other positive adjective you can think of! He even has a cool name:)

Loree said...

How wonderful. I can't wait to see some of your finished paintings.