Monday, November 2, 2009

Dia de los Muertos

Last night, my friend Rachel and I headed out on the the metro to the oldest part of Los Angeles. We were off to Olvera Street for the  Dia de los Muertos  celebration! 

I got a bit carried away here and obviously had some trouble editing! Not that my little point and shoot camera takes great nighttime shots but I just love what is behind the images.  There is something so poignant and a bit magical about this 3,000 year old ritual of Dia de los Muertos (The Day of the Dead). I love the idea of celebrating and honoring our loved ones and ancestors; creating rituals and altars with photographs and favorite foods ... candles and marigolds. It's beautiful.








"To live in hearts we leave behind 
Is not to die."
~Thomas Cambell


This altar was for the thousands of those that have lost their lives from denial of health coverage.  The names, photos and mementos "represent those who were insured by the largest health insurance corporations in America yet were denied services, claims and/or had their insurance taken away by the very same companies."  Many were very young ...


I love these small, intimate altars. They are so lovely and very moving.




Today is the perfect day 
to remember our loved ones
  who have passed on.
Most of all 
it is a time to reflect with gratitude, 
on all they have given us.




No comments: