Sunday, November 8, 2009

Kilimanjaro

After taking an amazing pastel workshop last month, I decided I needed to get to work on another piece while I could still remember the techniques!  

I worked from old photos I took in Kenya many years ago with my family.  I was twenty. We were staying at this amazing little place called the Kilimanjaro Safari Lodge. My sister and I shared a one room cabin with dark wood planked walls and mosquito nets covering our beds that would glow at night by the tiny lamp on the small table between our beds.

Outside our room was a big bushy tree that monkeys would use as a jungle gym, chasing each other from limb to limb and occasionally grabbing a branch and using it as a sort of a sling shot and another monkey would go flying.  It was endlessly entertaining and I had never been so happy or more comfortable anywhere in my life. 

The sky was such an intense blue and the land glowed a bright gold in the afternoon sun.  I fantasize about going back someday ... until then, I will take my memories and love for this beautiful place and put them on paper.


"I see my path, 
but I don't know where it leads.
Not knowing where I'm going 
is what inspires me to travel it."
~Rosalia de Castro

1 comment:

jane said...

hi lucinda! wow! i wasn´t expecting to be so overwhelmed by your talent. your artwork and photography are amazing! thanks for visiting! hugs! jane
p.s. are you on flickr?