Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Colorful Trastevere

We crossed the Tiber into my new favorite neighborhood at Ponte Fabricio. We walked through the very old, very narrow residential streets with buildings of burnt sienna covered in ivy. The sun hit these beautiful warm hued buildings and out of nowhere an elderly woman who could not have been more than five feet tall on her tip toes, hair the color of ashes, shouted to us at a distance, "Santa Cecilia?!" "Si!" we shouted back. She smiled and pointed us around the corner. It must be the only destination for tourists on the block, but seriously, how sweet!? Love Romans.

On top of the charming beautiful streets and churches, I happened to have one of the most fabulous salads ever at this cute little place on a side street (bottom picture) ... with pine nuts. Which, for salads, might be my favorite nut. At this point I was deciding that if I am going to conspire to live in Rome, why not pick this old artsy area across the Tiber. Apparently I am not alone and Trastevere, I was told, is becoming the "Soho" of Rome. I am not sure but if that is the case, I may need to rob a bank to pull it off.

Anyway ... here is a bit of charming Trastevere. Unfortunately, I was too distracted to get more shots.












Charming,right?

9 comments:

KathyA said...

Absolutely!

Shayna said...

Oh! Those artichokes ... and the colors of the buildings and pine nuts on salads! Wonderful posts, thank you for sharing your lovely adventures.

Don said...

Yes, very charming! I'm ready to pack my bags.

BB said...

It´s great to see you back !
You brought some cool shots with you.
Thank you for sharing.

Loree said...

This is an area of Rome I have never visited. I must make sure to go to Trastevere the next time we are there. It is so beautiful and colourful.

Victoria said...

Super charming...beautiful!!
Kiki~

Diana Strinati Baur said...

HA! I ate there (that bottom photo) the last time I was in Trastevere AND I had artichokes!! :)

Trastevere is where I would live if I moved to Rome. Let's do a time-share :)

Bungalow 36 said...

Awwwww Italy! Can't you just smell the Cappuccinos & pesto pasta!

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

Hi I came via Diana's blog Creative structures... you have a fab photos on here, I can feel another trip to Italy coming on .. :-)