Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Plein Air Pastels and Ojai

So ... Where do I begin?

When I posted last, I was taking a break from studying for my Art History midterm. I was staring at a stack of flash-cards thinking, What in the world have I gotten myself into? I mean, learning the history is wonderful, but the memorizing of all those dates? Also, if people could do these works of art and build these buildings in a year it would also be really be helpful! Unfortunately, many of the dates were things like "1456-1485." Oy. So, that my friends? ... is not my favorite part of art history.

So, Tuesday afternoon I had an Italian quiz and then planned to head out of town that night - to Ojai- after the art history midterm (around 10pm) for my 3 day pastel workshop with Richard McKinley. When I got out "early" at 9:15 pm I was thrilled, until I realized I had locked my keys in the car! Ooops. Thank God for the Automobile Club. Scary how quickly they can break into your car!

I got up to Ojai around midnight and my Richard McKinley workshop began at 9am on Wednesday morning. One word? Amazing. I actually hadn't really done Plein Air before, other than casual sketching and little watercolors on my travels. I've been more of a "studio girl." Working out on location? Not so much. This was a whole different thing, and Richard was incredible. (More on him later.)

This was my very first little pastel field sketch. (The shadows are bluer than in the photo.)

Afternoon Field Sketch - Ojai Nature Preserve
Pastel on paper


We were in one of the nature preserves and in the early evening (after a lecture, his demo, lunch and our own drawing) we took a lovely walk around the area. The light was amazing, the mountain shadows a gorgeous vibrant blue, and we even saw 3 Western bluebirds flying around the eucalyptus trees!

I got back to my sister's around 7:30 and got ready for the next two days of the workshop. The weather was a little crazy over the 3 days with sun, wind and rain but as always, Ojai was just beautiful. I felt incredibly blessed to be there, in that place, with all of those wonderful, supportive and talented people. (I think there were about 18 of us all together.)




Come forth into the light of things,
let nature be your teacher.

~William Wordsworth


Staying back at my sister's, I fell in love with her wisteria!







All my life through,
the new sights of Nature
made me rejoice like a child.



More plein air adventures to come...

Hope you are all having a wonderful week!
Blessings and light my friends!

16 comments:

mermaid gallery said...

what fun and how inspiring...love your sketch...and the weather looks so lovely...lucky you! ...looking forward to seeing more....

KathyA said...

Simply cannot believe that's your first time with that medium! It's beautiful!!

Joyce said...

Except for the slight curve ball- your weekend turned out beautiful. Love the art piece!! xo

donna baker said...

As good as it gets...

Cinthia said...

I like very much your work...For me, it is very difficult to read everything you write in English .... sigh !............. : - (

Cristina Deboni said...

Mi piace il tuo dipinto e anche le foto di cui alcune sembrano quasi dei quadri. Complimenti! Ciao e Buona giornata! Cri : )

Craftsman of light said...

The Ojai i'had heard about were mostly through J Krishnamurti's talks....now i'm glad to discover the landscapes through your inspiringly creative posts!

Have a wonderful day Lucinda!!
And Bravo for the painting!
hugs
col.

Tammie Lee said...

it sounds as though you had a lovely time in Ojai. Your pastel is dreamy beautiful. I love it when you post about places i have been, memories come back but also I 'see' with your words.
lovely weekend to you.

Erin Pettit said...

Gorgeous...LOVE pastels. They're so dreamy. Perfect for Ojai, right? Love you...

Loree said...

What a pretty little painting. Ojai looks beautiful.

Leovi said...

The sketch for the former is very well executed, the colors are beautiful, also the photos.Saludos.

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

BEAUTIFUL plein aire! I feel my heartrate slowing to a wonderful calm. Thank you!

A Brush with Color said...

Your art is wonderful!! I love it. You look as if you've done en plein aire work all your life. Your sister's place is so serene, and the wisteria's gorgeous. Wonderful spring post.

;) said...

Nice pastel, sweet moments and reflexion... for a nice post. Thanks for sharing and thanks for the beautiful links.

Don Bishop said...

Very nice pastel. I think you would do well as an outside
artist. That Ojai area is beautiful, I have not painted there but have been to Ojai few times years ago.

Thanks for the lovely post, Don B : )

Cobalt Violet said...

Thank y'all for all your kindness and sweet words!
Blessings and hugs to you all!