Sunday, October 26, 2014

Central Park ... Strawberry Fields, Upper West and a Famous Beer


It was a beautiful day in August, and the humidity had let up a bit. I met my friend Marlene for a carb breakfast on the Upper West Side, across from Julliard. We walked over to this bakery, Levain, famous for their cookies, which seem to weigh a half pound. 

Marlene got the Chocolate Chip Walnut, and I got a dark chocolate peanut butter cup. One cookie is practically a meal, but because I felt I needed something savory to start my day, I got a flat bread which was sort of similar to piece of pizza. So, as you can see, I was not on a wheat/flour free diet of any kind. 


Kind of an obvious music choice, so I went with another artist singing, just to mix things up. Is that bad? Anyway, here you go!



Strawberry Fields
Central Park


We headed over to Strawberry Fields, directly East of us in Central Park, with our cookies and flat bread, and sat on a bench and listened to some interesting versions of Imagine. We chatted about our lives, got caught up, and talked about the upcoming birth of her second child. (Which ended up coming, less that a week later!)


Strawberry Fields was dedicated by Yoko Ono, to John Lennon, in 1985. The couple lived just across from this part of Central Park, at the Dakota.



On another day ... "Imagine," surrounded by rose petals.


The Dakota
1884

Residence of John Lennon from 1973-1980. Also called home, in the past, by Lillian Gish, William Inge, Roberta Flack, Rosemary Clooney, Lauren Bacall, Leonard Bernstein, Gilda Radner, Rex Reed, Joe Namath, and John Madden.


After loading up on carbs when headed back into the Upper West side, past more cool buildings.


And then we headed to Marlene's, just off the Hudson River, for more visiting. I love how they have their son Kai's artwork up in their place! He just turned 3!


Marlene was in a past post of New York, from our trip to the Metropolitan Museum together, in 2013. We met in an oil painting class at UCLA extension. (She's brilliant.)


Kai! Isn't he beautiful? His baby brother came soon after this. :)



After hanging out for the day with Marlene, I headed back toward the park ...

Past Lincoln Center ...


And then, when I got into the park, I thought, what a cute place to have a beer!


When my beer came, then I realized where I was.


Turns out Tavern on the Green was closed for years and had recently reopened with this more casual outdoor setting, that was the perfect place to stop and wet your whistle. 


I even did a little mini sketch, at the bar. 


After my beer and sketch stop, I headed back through the park, toward Larry's. We had plans to go tux shopping for him, and grab dinner.







After being in Central Park for quite a while, it always seems somehow surprising to be suddenly thrust back out into the city again.


Larry, trying on his tux, in the J.Crew Men's store, in Columbus Circle, and me documenting it. :)


After shopping success, we had a yummy dinner at El Centro, on 9th. So tasty. I had grilled fish and a pomegranate margarita. I remember many years ago, it wasn't easy finding decent Mexican Food in the city, but this place totally hits the spot.

To see an old post of Central Park in snow, click here.
For my post of Central Park in Fall, click here.

To read about Strawberry Fields in Central Park, click here.
For more on the Dakota, click here.

Living is easy with eyes closed
Misunderstanding all you see
It's getting hard to be someone
but it all works out
It doesn't matter much to me
Let me take you down,
cos I'm going to
Strawberry Fields
Nothing is real
and nothing to get hung about
Strawberry Fields forever
~Lennon-McCartney 

Blessings and light!!!

5 comments:

Rick Forrestal said...

Lovely captures and memories.
The best of Central Park.
Thanks for sharing.

donna baker said...

It is surprising how large Central Park is. Like being out of the city. I bet it is pretty crowded.

Victoria said...

Hi Lucinda..such a beautiful and fun-spirited post..love the dreamy nature-scenes from Central Park..stunning shots! and love that glass/stein, tavern on the green ..how gorgeous!Everything you share is beautiful..wonderful shots of you too!
Wishing you a lovely end to October and a magical November ahead!

Loree said...

How lovely. I've never been to New York but I sure would love to visit soon. Central Park looks gorgeous.

Amanda Summer said...

Looks like it was a beautiful day to be in the park - you captured some of my favorite views. Enjoy your trip to the big apple :))