Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Magic Hour ~ Long Beach in September


The capacity for delight
is the gift of paying attention.
~Julia Cameron


Long Beach, California 


I'm taking a little break from posting my New York trip, to share some Southern California September with you! Yes, I'm very behind!

The photo, just above was a perfect spot to have a glass of wine and enjoy the ocean air! O.K., I'm getting ahead of myself! Let's get into a groove ... 

Please press play. ;)

Anyway, I used to spend a lot of time in Long Beach, back in the early/mid 90s when I had a boyfriend living down there. After that, my visits were few and far between. I'd head down if there was an exhibition at the Latin American Museum of Art or the Long Beach Museum of Art, that I wanted to see. 


But just recently, over the summer actually, my Aunt and Uncle moved down there, and I finally made it for a visit! What a gorgeous perfect day to drive down! (A little less than an hour, depending on traffic? Less on the way home.) 

This was during one of the biggest heat waves, of September, and my apartment was in the high 90s, so I was thrilled to be near the ocean! And Long Beach has changed a lot since 1994! 





Slow down and enjoy life.
It's not only the scenery you by, going too fast-
you also miss the sense of where you are going
and why.
~Eddie Cantor





My Aunt and Uncle love being in Long Beach and I can completely see why! Isn't it fantastic?! They are a little farther away from me, but what a great place to visit them for our dinners and our DWTS and So You Think You Can Dance viewings! 




If the sight of the blue skies fills you with joy,
if a blade of grass springing up in the fields
has the power to move you,
if the simple things of nature 
have a message that you understand,
rejoice, for your soul is alive.
~Eleonora Duse


What a perfect late afternoon, early evening! After the pier, we headed to their place for a delicious meal and Dancing With the Stars. There is something so rejuvenating about the ocean air and sound of the water and seagulls ...


Another beautiful evening! 
Thanks Penny and John!!



Be the holder of your own Nature.
It is a joyful responsibility.
~Eric Fischl

Blessings and light!!


9 comments:

Loree said...

Lovely photos. The light is just magical. And how on earth did you manage to photograph the seagulls?

donna baker said...

Loved the music with the fabulous photos. And, my new grand daughter's name is going to be Penny. I love it. Such an old fashioned name for a baby girl. I was wondering how you were doing without ac in that heat wave.

martinealison said...

Bonjour,

Ce billet est vraiment fascinant... De merveilleuses photos et les mots qui les accompagnent sont plein d'optimisme. J'aime ça !
Gros bisous ☼

Cristina Deboni said...

Che belle sature queste foto, ricordi di una bella e calda estate…. Complimenti, ciao Cri : )

Victoria said...

Gorgeous post..loving all the seagull shots..full of energy, movement and magic! Lovely photos of you all! so sweet! Beautiful music..! Thanks for always sharing enchanting journeys of the many worlds you roam!

Tammie Lee said...

looks like you had a grand time. beautiful photos mixed with lovely and inspiring quotes. thank you for the S.Ca. journey.

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

Sweet! Your images just tend to freeze time...in a beautiful way!

Amanda Summer said...

Your blog is so uplifting and soulful ~ a wonderful way to start the week.

I can't believe those shots of the birds - how did you get them?

UIFPW08 said...

Gorgeous shots
wow...
Morris