Sunday, March 28, 2010

Road Trip ~ Santa Cruz


I hadn't been to Santa Cruz in at least ten years. I used to go up with my friend Caroline to "Shakespeare Santa Cruz," the amazing Shakespeare festival they put on at the beautiful UC Santa Cruz campus. Some of my favorite productions of Shakespeare have been outside in "The Glen." Nothing like seeing A Midsummer Night's Dream among redwood trees. Truly magical.

I love a road trip. I find them difficult to pass up. You never know what adventure will be in store! My friend Rachel and I left last Sunday night around 8pm and made it in 5 hours. (This is a feat, by the way. Rachel was on fire!) I had gone to the health food store for snacks like vegan apricot fruit cakes, spicy pumpkin seeds and rice cakes. I know it sounds a bit like eating chalk but I knew if I didn't have something healthy to munch on I would find myself gorging on bbq chips and soda. (Don't be too impressed. On the way home there were Lays potato chips, chocolate brownies, cream soda and fritos.)

We completely lucked out on the weather. As you can see, it was gorgeous. The clouds decided to come only a couple of hours before we headed out of town. The whole purpose of the trip was actually so Rachel could meet a horse lady, but more on that later.

Change your perspective
and enjoy the adventure.
Let the child in you come out to play.
~Melody Beattie





Yoga surfer ...




Near the campus of UC Santa Cruz ...






As I said, I love a road trip! My all time favorite was going across country in a moving truck from Los Angeles to Massachusetts with my friend Dawn. It was five of the best days of my life. I don't think I have ever laughed so hard or sang so loud.

Do you have a favorite road trip?


7 comments:

Harnett-Hargrove said...

Ah, yes, Santa Cruz. I use to live up in the 'circle' for a short time.
you have a wonderful blog, there is a resonance here. -j

Diana Strinati Baur said...

Beautiful. I love a good road trip too.

Hmmm. Favorite road trips. San Juan Capistrano out to the desert, over the mountains.

A ring around Lago Maggiore.

From Hamburg to the North Sea on the German coast -- about 2 hours, completely flat, through the countryside, in the spring (fields of electric yellow rapeseed, sheep on the waterfront pastures, thatched roofs).

Driving from the Poconos to Philly directly on the Delaware.

So many!

Loree said...

What beautiful photos. Santa Cruz looks gorgeous.

Theresa said...

We love Santa Cruz. Used to go there when we lived in Marin. Thanks for the encouragement to the girls. They are so into acting right now. We just did a Haiti relief house concert, and in addition to everyone in the family performing (except moi), my husband wrote a comedy skit for them. They were a hit.

Don said...

I agree- I love road trips. I'm thinking of driving up to Canada along the coast later this year. Can't wait!

jane said...

love these shots! i hear ya! my favorite trip was with my best friend to the north of france to "rescue" sara from a french family she was staying the summer with. i don´t think i laughed as hard or ate as many éclairs... thanks for the memory!

Kerry said...

Santa Cruz looks so 'California'! I love road trips too...always the excitement of the surprises of what's around the bend...this weekend we are off to Niagara Falls and the surrounding wine region...can't wait to tell you all about it!