Friday, October 8, 2010

Fall Beginnings ...

I love fall and this week it finally felt like it in L.A.

I realize spring is supposed to be about renewal and everything, but autumn always feels like a time to start new things, new projects, new adventures .... I guess it's ingrained from childhood, since the new school year always began in the fall. It just feels right to me.

So yesterday, after having talked about starting a yoga class for the last 5 years, I finally went. I sat there awkwardly cross-legged on my old, partially eaten, green yoga mat that my parrot had gotten to and waited for my new beginning as yoga master extraordinaire. Then the door opened and the instructor who had been teaching the step class entered.

"Laura," (the yoga instructor) "had a car accident. She is fine and is not hurt but her car wasn't so lucky and she won't be here for class. So it's cancelled."

Poor thing, I have total empathy. I have had 8 accidents since moving to L.A. in 1992!

I climbed on the treadmill (since I was already paying 2 bucks for parking anyway) and then my mind started going ... Crap. Was it a sign? Am I not supposed to take yoga? Maybe I'm not, because, I mean seriously after 5 years I finally made it to a class and then...

And then I thought of this quote ...

If you find yourself spinning your wheels,
be gentle with yourself.

Slow down, get a nice rocking motion going,
one that's rhythmic yet powerful enough to free you,
then put the car in gear, step on the gas
and gently drive out of the muck.

Sometimes we need to spin our wheels.
It helps us get unstuck.
~Melody Beattie

So ... I will be going back next Thursday.

California autumn in Ojai - My sister's yard






Hope you enjoy a beautiful autumn weekend!

Staring any new projects/adventures this fall? :)

7 comments:

KathyA said...

Good for you for making this decision! You should go back!

Unknown said...

Beautiful autumn colors.
Costas

Victoria said...

HI Lu! Beautiful glowing photos..gorgeous beauty! I too love Autumn..i feel like it is the most creational time..i feel most alive!! Enjoy Autumn! Yay..Yoga..I am a yoga kindred too..! Glad the teacher was aok..maybe it was sign to teach your own yoga-esque class..

also..showing up and beginning to do yoga again..a super positive act ..and even though the class didnt take place..you went..that is important...I would see it as learning perfect patience( not everything goes as planned) and to continue on next time.. it reaffirms your commitment to a new journey! and it is wonderful!

enjoy!!
Beautiful photos
Kiki~

Joyce said...

These photos are singing Fall! Beautiful. Enjoy my friend. xo

Kerry O'Gorman said...

Yey Lucinda!!...and as Alexi Murdock says..."Don't forget to breathe" Your body will thank you!

Theresa said...

I'm glad you are going back...let us know how you like the class. I laugh at your old yoga mat, mine is the same...not exactly cool, but loved. :)

Cobalt Violet said...

Thanks guys! I did go back yesterday! I am a little sore and could do without quite so much "down dog" but ... baby steps!!