Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The Pumpkin Patch ~ Boccali's in Ojai

My favorite thing about October, outside of seeing my nephew dressed in his costume, is the pumpkin patch. I love a pumpkin patch. And my favorite thing about a great pumpkin, is a great stem.
And if it has little curlycues ... that's the best.


I went to housesit for my sister in Ojai a couple of weeks ago and I was so excited because this was my opportunity to head to Boccali's pumpkin patch. Boccali's is actually a pizza place out on the east end of Ojai, at the end of the main road. They have a farm out back and in October they have a pumpkin patch! I headed over in the afternoon to go hang out with pumpkins, squash and tractors, amid oak trees and haystacks. The weather turned out to be glorious while I was there and just as I left, the clouds rolled in. My timing was perfect!














It turned out that they have "Haunted Hay Rides" there at night, so my friend Lynn and I decided to go last Saturday night. It was fun and pretty hilarious with ghosts and ghouls jumping out of the cornfields. Well, fun except for the traumatized 3 year old sitting near us. Poor thing. Oh, and the scarecrow hanging from a tree overhead with a rain-soaked wet sock that hit me on the back of the head! (which was not exactly scary - but kind of gross.)

The great thing is we laughed a lot and with grins on our faces, felt like teenagers again.


"Life is available only in the present moment."
~Thich Nhat Hanh


"Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile,
but sometimes your smile
can be the source of your joy."
~Thich Nhat Hahn



12 comments:

erin's art and gardens said...

hi lucinda, sounds like you had lots of fun (except for that wet sock, ew). like you my fave part of the punkin is the curlycues. i love your photos today, especially that first one. it's hard to believe halloween is almost here! i haven't even bought the candy for the little trick or treators.....
erin

Victoria said...

Gorgeous series of pumpkin-y heaven..how energizing..I love orange colors in all shades..beautiful and fabulous shots! what a cute story..awww! too funny!
have a sparkling day!
Victoria~

Unknown said...

Great pumpkin collection Lucinda.
Have a great evening.
Costas

Kerry O'Gorman said...

Sounds like a grand time...I want to go to our local pumpkin patch but its been pouring rain hear for a week...I love the 6th photo of all of the pumpkins waiting to go home with someone! They are all lined up so politely!

KathyA said...

Wet sock aside, what a wonderful time!
Beautiful farm. I love looking at all the pumpkins -- and for particularly odd ones!

Cobalt Violet said...

Thanks for visiting and your comments!
Hope you all are enjoying your October!
I am off to class!

Joyce said...

I love the curlycues! I don't get to see too many of them, but they add a bit of personality to the pumpkins, don't you think?

Have fun at class! xo

Ruthie Redden said...

I have never yet seen a real live pumpkin patch, sighs, i should love too one day! The colours! The hunted trip through the fields sounds great fun. Wonderful photos, i want to draw them!! x

Don said...

Thanks for this trip to the patch!

Anonymous said...

What fun! Great quotes. There's a lot to think about there!

PK Studios said...

So, I'm cracking up. I took the little guy to the pumpkin patch this week...snapped tons of photos...came home and saw your post. Guess my Boccalli's post will have to wait until next year! But check out my pre-Halloween post instead... : )

Cobalt Violet said...

hey y'all hope Halloween was great! Sprained (i think) my thumb so will try to write tomorrow!!