Saturday, January 15, 2011

Ahhhh ... Gratitude!


Wake at dawn with a winged heart
and give thanks
for another day of loving.

~Kahlil Gibran


I have a friend who doesn't get mammograms because, she says, the stress would kill her. I know what she means. I might suggest she do it anyway but frankly, once someone hits eighty years old, they get to do whatever they want!

When I used to volunteer doing hospice at the VA hospital, I became friends with a lovely, sweet man who loved cherry cordials. Nothing gave this man more pleasure. Every few weeks I would sneak in a fancy little gold foil box with two little individually wrapped cherry cordials. His eyes would roll back in his head as they melted in his mouth. I admit it was against the rules but the man was 92, and had been stuck in hospital for 8 years and if he wanted chocolate, he was going to get it. Frankly, from what I could see it did him good! After 92 years, with all his mental faculties, I figured it was up to him!

Anyway, back to the stress of tests. This week I had a test done and did my best not to freak out while waiting two days for the results. Mostly I busied myself watching movies and hanging with friends. Well, good news! All is well and I don't have to go back for 6 months. Hurray! It's amazing how taking care of yourself can actually be a bit of a stressful process!

The blessing is the renewed sense of appreciating all of the amazing things in life and the incredible beauty that is there when you open your eyes to it. And for being well, of course!

If you are well, and I hope that you are, please take a moment to offer up a grateful prayer. Think of how great it is to have whatever abilities you have, to do things you want to do and spend time with the people you love. Be grateful for more sunsets and flowers and adventures ... even if they are vicarious ones!

I am feeling grateful for so much that I could list a thousand things but for now I will say I am grateful to have met an amazing community of people through blogging and that I am so inspired by all of you! Thank you for sharing your amazing gifts and open hearts. I haven't been visiting quite as much lately with some of these distractions but I will be doing the rounds this week!

First, I have a play date with a 5 year old! I am taking my nephew out on the town. Or maybe we will watch a movie. It doesn't really matter. :)

Enjoy your weekend and make a mental or physical gratitude list. It will bring a smile to your face and remind you of your true riches.

Blessings and light,
Lucinda

32 comments:

Turid said...

Gratefulness is what feeds the universe. It's so important both to us, individually and everyone around us that we show gratitude and share it. I am so glad you are healthy and your story about the chocolates touched my cords... To hell with rules - you did the right thing. I think the universe would agree.

I so much enjoy reading your blog Lucinda! You're a constant source of important positivity, inspiration and joy.

Cobalt Violet said...

Thank you Turid. I am welling up. It means so much to me. You are amazing and kind and I am so happy I found you! Or you me... I can't remember! :)

Parisbreakfasts said...

Thank you Lucinda for a very beautiful and touching post.
I wish we could share a dog :)
Keep well and doing what you're doing.
It makes a difference.
merci
xxCarolg

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

Lucinda....What a gorgeous sense of self and knowledge you have.

Grateful indeed...indeed!

KathyA said...

Great news!

I am grateful for every second of every day.

At 92, the man deserved an entire box of cherry cordials! Sweet of you to think of him...

Candy said...

How wonderful to hear that your test results were good and you don't have to go back for 6 months! I love reading your blog. Your attitude is contagious. Enjoy your date with your nephew!

Tammie Lee said...

I love the quote you began this with, my heart took flight, thank you.

I feel grateful that your test went well and I so enjoyed your tales of cherry chocolates and earning the right to make decisions as life is lived....
wishing you a lovely Sunday.

Leovi said...

A sky for dreaming. After contemplating a sunset like that, only to be expected to spend a good night, but it is a sunrise as it seems so there is no doubt that the day will be wonderful.

Loree said...

So true and so glad that your results were good. We should all have gratitude for all the good that happens in our lives: the flowers, the laughter, the friends, the sunshine ...

Anonymous said...

Hooray that your test came back with good news! Sounds like a great time to live life to the fullest. Thank you for this beautiful and inspiring post!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post! I love that you snuck in some chocolates for the 92 yr old...so sweet of you. BTW, thanks so much for your good wishes on my getting published...it means so much!

Have a wonderful week!

Abby

Hope Adela Pasztor said...

what an absolutely magical sunset! =)

http://pinkchampagnefashion.blogspot.com/

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Deaest Lucinda,

Thank you for coming to my blog post not once but three times I believe! You are so kind and it is nice to have friends from all over. Isn't that cardigan just gorgeous? ANd Audrey Hepburn, well she would make anyone want to be a brunette at least once in their life! Enjoy a pleasant and peaceful week dearest. Anita

Kirsten Randolph said...

Dearest Lucinda,
Our angels were perhaps talking about us, I heard your voice yesterday (sunday) and I said "I'll stop by you for a very quick cup of tea". And lord and behold you were first to stop by leaving a beautiful message on my post. I am grateful to know you as my friend. Happy your exams are OK!
Kahlil Gibran is also my prophet.
With joy,
Kirsten
Ps. Beautiful post.

marty said...

a great post and a beautiful image !
yes we have to enjoy every morning
and that's what I do !
have a nice week !

koralee said...

A lovely post my friend...blessing are all around we just need to open our eyes sometimes to see them...I am grateful today my eyes are WIDE open.

Monday hugs.xo

Princesa Nadie said...

Thank you for your visit,meeting you has been a pleasure
Hugs

Kerry O'Gorman said...

First of all, I believe in the healing powers of chocolate and other indulgences which give you pleasure...in moderation of course. I think you're an angel for what you did! Secondly...YAY! I'm so glad you're in the clear...I DO know how that feels and I thank the heavens for my health. Good news!

Jeannette StG said...

When I saw how your blog was called, I thought that "has to be an artist"!
My thankful list is enormous, but these are a few:increasing recovery to health, living S.California climate, being able to paint a lot, being able to afford basic necessities - like chocolate:), etc.

Punctuation Mark said...

glad everything came out all right!!! beautiful story!!!

Diana Mieczan said...

That is such a beautiful post and Im so glad that everything came out good:) Happy Tuesday and I hope its sunny:)
Kisses

Cobalt Violet said...

You all are amazing and kind. Thank you for your kind words and support! Happy Tuesday! - or Wednesday across the pond!

sue said...

Oh, how did I miss this post!?? And such a touching one! I am so glad that you got good news. Ever since my younger sister was diagnosed with breast cancer, I have had a HUGE realization of just how fortunate I am in so many ways, so I totally get what you're saying. I've always felt grateful, but this past year, agonizing over her and realizing all she was experiencing, it came so home to me how very, very lucky I am in everything.

I wish you years of doing all the things you want to do! May the worst be a thing of the past only. You have such a lovely, positive spirit, you deserve much in return.

Ola said...

I do understand why people do not want to check their health frequently, I am one of such persons, unfortunatelly...stress is a good answer to explain this

Deborah said...

Oh LOVE Kahlil Gibran...dates back to high school for me, 100 years ago! Lovely blog you have. What a beautiful photo. Regarding the mammograms, my 88-year-old Mombie recently told the doctor when he informed her that she should have mammograms done; "why should I? My honey checks them every day".
**kisses** Deb

elena nuez said...

I'm happy for you ...Brava Lucinda!!!

Ruthie Redden said...

Lucinda, wow, such a moving post. I too love the chocolate story, and yes i think you did the right thing too! Its all about the little things we can do, they can have huge meanings. So glad to hear you are well & things are going ok. It is humbling to count all the blessings we do have, i learnt a huge lesson from my precious niece who two years ago went through a grueling kidney transplant, all the while smiling & caring so much about the feeligns of the ones she loved, she taught us many lessons. Sending a big hug across the water. Have a wonderful weekend x ruthie x

Helle Jorgensen said...

Glad to hear all is well with you.
Yes, you're absolutely right..... how fortunate we are to have good health and full capacity. You're a wise owl:0)

jane said...

amen lucinda!
xxx

melissa n. said...

As always Lu - awesome !!! Inspiring & lovely!!!

Victoria said...

Hi Lu..hugs...such a super gorgeous post,,beautiful!!!Inspiring and insitghful and you are so wise! I agree..Glad all is well! I went through a long illness in my life and conming thourgh it all forever changed me..life is such a gift..I appreciate it all and those out there wiht their health should celebrate every moment they are blessed to create with!
Hugs friend!
Keep shining!
Kiki

Anonymous said...

I'M 73 AND JUST STARTED TALKING BACK AND MAKE UP MY OWN MIND. SOMEONE ALWAYS TELLING ME WHAT TO DO ALL MY LIFE. I SAY NUTS TO THAT ANYMORE. I'LL TAKE ONE OF THOSE CHERRY DEALS PLEASE. DIABETIES AND ALL.

GRANNY