Wednesday, July 17, 2013

A Long (Wonderful) Weekend in San Diego



Pacific Beach
San Diego, California


Before teaching summer art workshops, in L.A., I headed to San Diego to kick off summer and visit some of my oldest and dearest friends.


My friend Lisa, lives in Pacific Beach, not all that far from where I used to live. (I lived down there for four years studying art and theatre.) Lisa and I have known each other since we were 4 or 5, and being with her feels like home, wherever we are or happen to be.


I think Lisa said these little bungalows have been there since the 30s and you can still rent them. Wouldn't that be fun? It's called the Crystal Pier Hotel, now.



We walked around Pacific Beach, bought some fun tank tops, took lots of pictures, then stopped at this little hotel on the boardwalk for for ceviche tacos and pinot noir. (A very yummy combo!)





Lisa and me photographed by the bartender!



There were some very fun little shops on Garnet with all sort of goodies. For the most part, excluding the neccesary summer tank tops, I managed to keep my wallet in my pocket!


In California, we often call June weather "June Gloom" and though there might have been some clouds in the sky, it definitely did nothing to dampen our spirits or our wonderful visit.


I had a great visit with my friend Kristen and her family, in Point Loma, as well! 

I love photographing kids, as you might have noticed, from some long ago posts. This first shot is of Kristen's son.

Nate, 7 years old (check out that dimple!)


Libbey, their new, and very sweet, dog. Biggest lab ever, by the way, but look at those eyes! 


Sofia, age 11 and recovering from a slumber party.


We had a fabulous dinner out in Mission Hills, near yet another place I lived, in San Diego. I think I moved 7 times in 4 years. That's Lisa again in the middle, and Kristen on the right.


After hanging at the beach, I headed out to see my friend Erin on the East side of town. She took me out to this lovely garden place. Well, it's much more than a nursery, as you'll see.

Flinn Springs, Calfornia




As you can see, it turned into a gorgeous day out there!



I spied this little one on the bridge, watching the water ...


It turned out that that morning was their annual fairy festival!



We missed the events, but there were still some fairies hanging around. This one looks like she might be doing something she knows she ought not be doing! Taking a dip in the pond!





There are two very cute little shops, with various treasures.


I bought a hummingbird feeder here for my dad.


They also have an array of native plants for sale, a chicken coup, a little place to by ice teas and treats and little places to sit an enjoy the lovely views.


The following day, I went with Erin, her husband Jimmy and their kids, out to Lakeside to her parents ranch. I love going out there!

Rancho Puesta del Sol
Lakeside, California


Below is the view looking out across their backyard. The little structure on the left is her mom's new art studio! Can you imagine? So fantastic.





Erin's daughter McKenna, who is 7, and you can see by her cheek is a big Padres fan.


This is Erin's son Cooper. Erin was the first of my closest friends to have a baby ... and now he's 15!




As you can see, her parents' home is warm and so inviting!


Feathers they've found on the property ...



A friend of theirs found this skull and gave it to Erin's mom Sandie. She decorated it, and it looks amazing!



She has be creating beautiful watercolors for years, but recently started doing some abstract pieces, which I LOVE. Here is one of my favorites!

Watercolor abstract by Sandie Seckington


Down the hill on a neighboring ranch, there were two new baby llamas to see!  The brown is the older baby.


And lying in the grass ... the new baby! So cute!!!



Erin and I took her dad's golf cart down and frankly I wasn't sure we'd make it back! It was like Mr. Toads Wild Ride at Disneyland! We were laughing so hard. Here's a shot I took with my iphone on our wild ride!


A Friend
May well be
reckoned the masterpiece
of Nature.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson

The weekend just couldn't have been any better. Thank you, my friends!

Growing up in Southern California, my family used to listen to this, on the 8 track, in my parents' big white GTO, especially on summer rode trips! Enjoy!


Blessings and light!

6 comments:

Laura said...

simply wonderful. bravissima.

Floriana Quaini said...

Ciao Lucinda,
dalle tue foto traspare proprio la tua passione per i viaggi, le forme, i colori...la vita in generale!
Sono molto belle e presentano proprio uno sguardo sul mondo che fa piacere vedere.
Ciao, a presto, un abbraccio, Floriana

Candy said...

Lucinda, your photos are fabulous. What a wonderful time you had! I haven't been to San Diego in years. I have to get back there. It's such a fun place.

I love Erin's mom's painting. I'll have to see if I can find more of her watercolors on the Internet.

donna baker said...

Well that was a blast Lucinda. I loved looking at all the things you saw through your photos. How sweet to get together with old friends. I guess I'm going to have to live vicariously through you since I rarely get to leave the farm. I love San Diego; stayed in Coronado at the Del and didn't want to leave. Went to a wedding in La Jolla and that is all I got to do, but loved it there so much. It was so beautiful and the weather was heaven.

Anonymous said...

Oh man, what beautiful, beautiful photos. Such vibrant colours, lovely people, delicious food and just radiant LIFE! Your corner of the earth looks like a little piece of heaven.

Cobalt Violet said...

Thank you ladies for your very sweet comments! So wonderful getting your thoughts, feedback and a lil' history. :)