Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Painted Posies and a Lovely Shower!

… And by shower, I mean "bridal."

O.K., quick break from Descanso gardens, to focus on a bridal shower for my cousin Jennifer. The shower was at our Aunt Penny's and as a little party favor for each guest, they would take home seeds of either pansies or sweet peas… 


I was asked if I would decorate an envelope or something, to put the seeds in. If I was going to spend time doing it, I felt like I needed to do it on nice watercolor paper, otherwise it would drive me nuts. 

So, I bought a box of Fabriano watercolor folding cards, (with my 40% off 1 item coupon, at Blick!)  that are a lovely artists'  quality paper … 


 … and voilà!


O.K., not exactly voilà … 

My first plan was to do something really soft and loose (as above) … but trying to do 21 little paintings loose but kind of in control and have them all similar, made me a little crazy. 

The one above was the best of "loose" style. So, after doing 12, I started over. The first one you saw, back at the very beginning of the post, was the more detailed style that I ended up going with.

Here's a little Ella to set the tone ...


Inside each little card, my aunt and I attached a tiny seed pack, and directions for planting the seeds. They were set at each place setting.


The Beautiful Bride ...

 


Who doesn't love a pansy?



And for the sweet pea seed pack …


The bride and her sister Alexandra. There was so much laughter and love, at the shower!


Rejoice with your family
in the beautiful land of life!
~Albert Einstein


We all pitched in, bringing different things to the table. My aunt Vicki made this beautiful Italian cream cake (I probably have that name wrong) sprinkled with fairy dust and roses … 


My sister, Penny, brought the white roses for the table, cousin Elizabeth did the games, and cousin Jen (different Jen) did the invitations … 



One of my friends thought I was crazy, painting all the flowers by hand, but they were all for ladies I love … cousins, aunties, my great aunt and grandmother, and they all appreciate things handmade, and done with love. The bride and my grandma already have theirs framed!

The bride herself is an artist, (she went to Otis) and so is the groom! Anyway, they all seemed to love them and I was happy to do it. Plus, I thought they looked so nice on the tables!



My cousins, lovely Sisters, Jennifer and Alexandra … 
~ The Bride and Maid of Honor ~


It doesn't matter what story we're telling,
we're telling the story of family.
~Erica Lorraine Scheidt


For those of you who don't live in the U.S., or haven't been to a bridal shower in the last 15 years, this (below) might look a little strange. We do weird things at bridal showers here. 

One, is playing a game where we split into teams, and dress a member of the team in a bridal gown of only toilet paper. You can't use tape or any kind of adhesives. You have to get creative, and the best design wins. It also helps if the dress doesn't fall apart as she's walking the "runway."

2014 Spring Bridal Collection 


The Sisters are in the middle, and my adorable little cousin Megan is on the far right. (She's the daughter of my cousin Scott, so does that make her my second cousin? Anyway, she's my cousin.) The gorgeous gal, on the far left, is my 92 year old grandmother, Beverly.


Yes, I said 92. 
I know, total freak of nature. 
No one ever believes it. 
:)


Love makes a family.
~Gigi Kaeser


Next up? 
Back to Descanso Gardens, in the beautiful blooming Japanese Garden!
Hope you are all having a lovely week!

Blessings and light!

7 comments:

Loree said...

Oh wow, what a sweet post. Your little paintings are lovely. As for your Grandma, bless her, she doesn't look a day older than 60. I wish I could age as gracefully :)

Rick Forrestal said...

Great gift idea . . .nicely done, and so personal.
Nice post, great pics.
Everything is good taste . . . that says a lot about you, your family.
(Love the colors.)

Merisi said...

Thank you for sharing this beautiful event!
Love the Bridal Collection, what fun! Your flower paintings are endearing, they truly look beautiful at the table.

Unknown said...

The painted cards are beautiful!!!! And what a nice way to remember the occasion; I think I would frame one too! It sure looks like you gals had a LOT of fun. I've never seen toilet paper gowns; that's a creative idea!

donna baker said...

Lucinda, you're time and effort must have been so appreciated. The stuff of dreams and memories. What beauties and your grandmother - we should all be so lucky to look like her at 92. Guess 92 is the next 62.

isabella kramer - veredit said...

Oh yes, I agree absolutely with Loree, this Post is so very beautiful, emotinal and touching. Your paintings are so wonderful and sweet and the mood at your party seems to have been really superb and lucky. Love the table decoration, love these marvelous looking ladies.
Thanks for sharing this gorgeous moment with us.

wish you a very nice week.

isabella

Cobalt Violet said...

Thank you all for your sweet comments and compliments! I left feeling so blessed with these wonderful women in my life!