Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Christmas Birds and Butterflies

It's pouring here. POURING. I know we need rain but things are getting muddy and hillsides are beginning to give way. Driving to my friend's place in Ojai I have dodged giant boulders and pieces of hillside property that are now in the road.

I am also taking care of my friends' German Shepard Koa. She is very sweet and a good sport about my process of cleaning her paws and drying her off every time she comes back inside but she shakes and muddy water hits the white walls and my p.j.s or whatever I happen to be wearing. I realize though that there are much worse things to deal with and frankly right now I am just grateful to be living with heaters and not to be stuck in an airport somewhere trying to get home. Those poor people!

There's no good segue out of that but few years back I started collecting little bird Christmas ornaments. (Topic whiplash?) Although I am kind of bird girl anyway, the collecting didn't really start consciously. I just kept finding or being given these wonderful little birds so I just went with it! There are many more than this but here are just a few ...
(Oh, and a couple of butterflies!)



















Sweet right? And here is something I want to share today from Marianne Williamson about Christmas.

Life is sweeter, as millions of people throughout the world
consider the possibility that a higher love exists.
For one day we lay aside our cynicism- if not completely, then enough.
We lay aside our faithlessness and our judgments and our blame.

We embrace the notion of a light at the center of things
that casts out darkness and cast out fear.
Millions of people think thoughts of love on Christmas.
That is why it is an important day.
That is why it gives us joy.
That is why it is such a blessing on the world.

~Marianne Williamson


15 comments:

ArtSparker said...

Wonderful collection, and lovely photos of same. Birds belong in a tree.

A Brush with Color said...

What fabulous, whimsical creatures shimmering all over your tree! And I love this ending quotation. I hope you stay safe with the stormy weather I've heard about there--have a beautiful Christmas!

Tess Kincaid said...

What extraordinary ornaments! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog. So nice to meet you, too!

none said...

Those are some exquisite and unique ornaments! You're right - it's important for us to realize how blessed we are (instead of craving perfection).

Nice to meet you. :)

Anonymous said...

Exemplaire.

KathyA said...

1. It's good that at least Koa is sweet. Nothing says Merry Christmas, though like wet dog! :)

2. Those birds/ornaments are stunning!

3. And I hear you all are experiencing a veritable deluge out there. Keep safe! I imagine all that water is going to be changing some contours.

Cobalt Violet said...

Thanks Susan and your right ... birds in a tree - makes sense!

Suzanne, I am glad you like the quote and thanks for the wishes. A beautiful Christmas to you too.

Tess, thank you and nice to meet you too.

Jade, your right. the perfection thing? Better to be in appreciation! Happy to meet you!

Ian - Grazie! Thanks for visiting!

Kathy- cracking up at your comment "nothing says Christmas like wet dog!" Thanks, and yep ... more rain is on the way apparently!

Kerry O'Gorman said...

I hope you are safe and dry...Koa as well! I am also a birdy girl and have been collecting them as well for Christmas and any other time of the year...yours are so sweet. I love the thoughts of Marianne...a very happy holiday with loads of light to you, Lucinda

erin's art and gardens said...

hi lucinda, i love all your little tweets! you know i love the birds......hope all the rain doesn't wash you away? can i just say that i have never heard the expression "topic whiplash", i am going to use that. ha ha.
christmas is indeed a blessing, no matter how one celebrates or believes........
believing in the "possibility that a higher love exists" = faith.

merry christmas to you sweety!

erin

Anonymous said...

Love it, they are really cute. I wish you a merry Christmas. Greetings from Inge

Theresa said...

Beautiful. I love birds too. Stay dry and warm! Great quote from MW too...

Tito said...

Lucinda, thanks a lot for visiting my blog and for your kinds comments.
I wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!! Ciao!

Tammie Lee said...

ah, your birds are quite lovely and so right for sitting on a tree ;-}

I am in SB for and S.Ca. for the holidays, the rain was so steady and when the sun came out and I drove to Ojai, I was thrilled to see light presenting the beauty of the land! Wishing you and yours a wonderful holiday season, and beyond.

marty said...

Many thanks for your visit !
very beautiful images on your blog !
wish you a merry Christmas and
happy New Year !
I hope to see you later !!!

Leovi said...

A beautiful series of wonderful colors and beautiful textures.