Saturday, December 18, 2010

Movies ... That Christmas Feeling


What is it you want Mary?
What do you want?
You-you want the moon?
Just say the word and I'll throw a lasso around it
and pull it down.


I love movies and I love Christmas so it stands to reason that the two would intersect. I realize Christmas isn't about movies but there are some movies that have become such a tradition that they have become a kind of ritual and just make it feel more ... like Christmastime. Some are obvious, but always fabulous holiday fare, like It's a Wonderful Life, A Charlie Brown Christmas or Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer which happened to land on my birthday quite a lot as a child and felt like an extra present!

Right now I am waiting for Netflix to send me "Meet Me in St. Louis" which I haven't seen for a few years. I expect to become completely unglued when Judy, in her gorgeous red velvet party dress, sings "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" to adorable little Margaret O'Brian, tears streaming down her face. I sang that song as my first solo in a Junior High Christmas pageant and made some lady cry. "Wow," I thought, "this gig's for me!" Anyway, the song really hit me my Junior year of high school when my parents announced a transfer out of state around the holidays. "It's just like the movie!" I thought. Click here to see it. (they won't let me imbed it on the blog!)

This week I have watched Elf and The Family Stone. BOTH of which crack me up and both of which make me cry. I know, Elf? Cry? But when Zooey gets everyone to sing Santa Claus is Coming to Town near the end? Yep, I choke up every time. Plus I love her voice on "It's Cold Outside." Again, I couldn't imbed so ... go here.

For some good old holiday cheesiness rent White Christmas (I love Rosemary!) and for fun romance and star power? Love Actually.


One you may not have seen, that is a must see for me every year is Going My Way. I love it. LOVE it. It's not an "in your face" Christmas movie but it ends with Christmas and the gift in the end will make you cry. Plus, as you might have gathered from this and the previous post, Bing Crosby just sounds like Christmas to me.

From Going My Way


My favorite from Going My Way ...


Hope you are all enjoying some holiday fun! Christmas or otherwise!

Blessings and light to you!

7 comments:

Joyce said...

I love these old movies!! As a child, I loved to watch White Christmas and wanted to go to Vermont. xo

KathyA said...

I love them all! Including all versions and adaptations of Dickens' A CHRISTMAS CAROL!. And don't forget THE BISHOP'S WIFE and COME TO THE STABLE both with Loretta Young.

Kerry O'Gorman said...

My Irish gramma used to sing "Too a Loo ra Loo ra" to us as kids! I'm a sucker for all of those movies as well as a few newer ones like "Prancer". I think the one that really sets me up for that Christmas feeling is "The Waltons" early movie "The HomeComing."

Prospero said...

Ah, yes, Cinema Paradiso, your favorite movie (not a Christmas movie, though)... i love Ennio Morricone's film scores. Just incredible.

Ruthie Redden said...

OOOh thank you for all those reminders, now i realy am looking forward to tucking my toes under a cosy blanket in front of the fire & watching some golden oldies. ps Happy belated birthday wishes to you sweetie. Hoping that you have a delicious Christmas too x x

Cobalt Violet said...

Thanks for the comments and especially the suggestions! Never enough Christmas movies! :)
Happy Holidays!

shopgirl said...

Love the oldies...and I agree that Christmas is not the same without the holiday classics and with Bing Crosby and Judy Garland in the room.