Friday, September 18, 2009

Bright Star ... and I met Jane Campion ... sort of...

Went to a screening tonight of Jane Campion's new film Bright Star about poet John Keats.  If you want to watch something completely romantic and beautifully shot, go see Bright Star and bring your hankie. As an artist ... the visuals were amazing. They where so beautiful and quite painterly. Plus, I thought the performances were very good and very moving. In fact, toward the end of the movie I was so trying to hold it together and do the eye make-up damage control thing with napkins I swiped on the way back from the bathroom at full sprint.

It was a Producers Guild screening so Jane Campion, one of the producers, the composer and the two male leads  Ben Wishaw (Keats) and Paul Schneider (Mr. Brown), were actually there for a Q & A. (And it was a the Arclight which I love!) Paul Schneider was hilarious in the Q & A and also happens to be in one of my favorite films Lars and the Real Girl which if you haven't seen ... do not pass go, go directly to Netflix.  Seriously.

On our way out, my friend Drew and I were standing by the exit aisle and Jane Campion at one point was standing right next to me and I turned to her and said "Your film is beautiful and I was so moved" and she just stood there holding my hand in hers even after I stopped talking. She just paused ... she was so ... lovely.

O.K. ... it's 1:21 am ... so I can now officially say I saw the movie last night!  Sweet dreams!


A thing of beauty is a joy forever:
its loveliness increases;
it will never pass into nothingness; but still will keep
A bower quiet for us, and a sleep
Full of sweet dreams, and health, and quiet breathing.

1 comment:

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

Looks like a wonderful one....will have to find it!