Thursday, January 28, 2010

ICA Boston

I believe it was 2007 when I first saw a picture of the new ICA (Institute of Contemporary Art) building on Boston Harbor designed by Diller Scofidio + Renfro. It looked so cool I made it my mission to get there at some point. I put it on my invisible "to do" list for when I finally got back to Boston.

The day before my trip ended, we made it. I am sorry I didn't get a good distance shot but you can find one on their website HERE, and click "slideshow" if you are interested. Just go to the left-hand sidebar.

What made the visit even more worthwhile was an exhibit by Krzysztof Wodiczko called "...Out of here: The Veterans Project." In the installation, you actually sit in a large dark room with projected windows, high on the walls ... hearing the sounds of war around you and occasionally the projected windows "break" from shots and mortar fire ... you hear screams and see a helicopter fly by. If you go with it, you can completely immerse yourself in the experience. It was pretty intense and definitely worth a visit. The exhibition, along with some related works run until March 28, 2010. To see more you can also go to Art 21.



Words from the Walk on the Hassenfeld Harbor (above photo)
Emily Dickinson: A Meditation
I'm nobody! Who are you?
Are you nobody, too?
Then there's a pair of us -don't tell!
They'd banish us, you know.

How dreary to be somebody!
How public, like a grog
To tell your name the livelong day
To an admiring bog!



No comments: