Thursday, July 16, 2009

Assisi in Black and White

My Dad found a stack of these old travel guides in the garage that he got as a kid in the 1950s. They were from the American Geographical Society. (?)  Apparently a different country came every month or so in the mail, with stickers that you put in the appropriate places in the book.  I love the maps on the covers.  Of course, I am partial to this one.  I will have to post others down the road ... some are of countries that don't exist as countries anymore. (i.e. Yugoslavia) Anyway, loving the groovy 50s illustrations. 


These are some additional photos from Assisi last September.  They were taken in the old part of town and up at Carceri, one of the hermitages where Francis and the brothers went to pray.  It was quiet and cool and green, you could imagine them up there meditating amongst the trees.


 
















"Praise be to you my Lord
for Sister Moon and for the stars
In heaven you have formed them,
Shining precious and fair."
~St. Francis of Assisi

1 comment:

PK Studios said...

I love your blog and I'm so proud of you! : )