Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Back to the Getty Center ... Finally!


It was a glorious day last Thursday when I decided to head West over to the Getty Center. It's great to go with people but I aIso love going alone.  As soon as the tram headed up the side of the hill to the Center I was so happy.  It was like I was ten and going to Disneyland. (Actually, I still get just as excited going to Disneyland as I did when I was ten.) I wondered around a bit, then sat in the cafeteria, looking out the huge windows at the view, as I ate my tacos.  I checked out the visiting exhibits then sat by the big fountain in the middle of all those stone buildings and pulled out my sketchbook.  Absolutely fantastic.  Don't hate me.

It is a great place to take a date (very romantic) and of course out-of-towners love it, but it's also a wonderful place to spend the day by yourself.  There is usually some sort of interesting photography exhibit happening (right now it's Irving Penn) or drawing exhibit going on (Capturing Nature's Beauty:  Three Centuries of French Landscapes. Lovely!) Plus, they have a great cafeteria. (Love those tacos!)





Henry Moore Sculpture





Another Henry Moore "Draped Reclining Mother and Baby" 1983


"What is real, 
what is unreal?
What lifts the corners of your mouth...
trust that."
~Hafiz

No comments: